Friday, June 13, 2008

Our favorite teachers

I posted this on a school alumni social networking site I created, after hearing some closing remarks from the mortgage seminar I attended:

Teachers can leave indelible marks on us. Does anybody remember who the 2007 Miss Universe was? Or the 2007 Nobel Laureate winners? Or even the 2007 NFL MVP? Yet, we certainly remember who are favorite teachers were--even if our aging memories are starting to fail us.

In fact, I'll start a new discussion on favorite teachers: Mrs. Nelson, my 4th grade Lewis School homeroom teacher. She motivated us, not with too light a hand, or with a heavy hand, but she certainly gave us a definitive moral compass, sprinkled in with good-natured, but sharp humor--but with a stern message--live by the golden rule, and treat others with respect. She even invited us to her home to play with her St. Bernard's.

Mr. Horst, the most stern, anal retentive person I ever met. We were all afraid of this 7th grade English teacher at Lincoln Jr. High, and that fear was founded, but he sure got us to use proper grammar. And once in a while, he cracked open a wry smile. The guy was classic old school, but he occasionally had a little bit of Eddie Haskell in him (for those old enough to remember Leave it to Beaver).

Just like I wish I could have told my father one more time how important he was to me before he passed on, I wish I could tell these teachers how much of a positive impact they had on me. As I get older, I realize how much more important teachers are to all of us. Seriously, and I hate to sound corny, we all should share our gratitude to our former teachers as much as we can--as well as others we've learned so much from--including our parents. I'm sure they would appreciate it. They make a real contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment