Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dr. Doom Nouriel Roubini

Nouriel Roubini, a money manager and professor at Yale, was nicknamed Dr. Doom for his apocalyptic economic forecasts. I agreed with most of his reasons: high debt levels and unsustainable deficits. But I am calling him out on his forecasts for gold. Here is a partial excerpt from his website (it is partial because I am not a client of his):

http://www.roubini.com/analysis/91695.php


In a Bloomberg interview in November 2009, Roubini said gold was a bubble that was about to burst. Gold was priced at $1100/oz at the time. When billionaire hedge fund manager Jim Rogers declared gold would double to $2000, Roubini dismissed it as "utter nonsense."

He was wrong then and I'm going on record that he will be wrong going forward. When gold does reach $2000, will Roubini apologize to Rogers and admit he was wrong? I doubt it. If gold plummets to $500, I promise I will admit I was wrong.

See disclaimer on side bar.

Disclosure: long physical gold and silver, long precious metals mining shares.

No comments:

Post a Comment