Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Taking profits

And in these skittish markets, I'm not ashamed. Took some profits on TBT, up 50% due to rising 30-year T-bond rates (TBT is a double short ETF betting on rising bond yields and declining bond prices). It gapped up today and could break out, so I kept some on the table. But with a 50% profit, I had to take some off the table. If the Fed goes through with quantitative easing and monetizes that debt, they could temporarily drive bond prices up and yields down. Long-term, I'm still bearish Treasury bonds, so I will wait for another good entry point to buy TBT. But with volatile markets, you take your winners and cut your losers. Buy and hold won't work going forward (it didn't work in the last decade either).

Also, I cashed out partial positions in a uranium stock (up 25%), and of course DNDN this morning for a better than 300% pop. Notice I said "partial", as I am merely taking some profits, but letting the house money ride. Most professional traders average in their buys, and average out their sells, because no one can buy at the absolute bottom or sell at the absolute top. Don't blow your wad with one initial big trade. And don't get discouraged if the price drops a little as soon as you buy, or goes up a little when you sell. Knowing when to sell is as important as knowing when to buy.

The reflation play is still intact, and I will be looking to buy into dips on hard assets (commodities, precious metals, energy). We are in the throes of a bear market rally, but I certainly don't want to stand in the way of stampeding longs. When I hear talk of the beginning of a new bull market, I'll know this rally would have been a head fake, at which point I will buy some appropriate puts. If I miss the big decline--oh well. NOT losing money in this market is like a win.

I also want to get liquid and keep my powder dry, as another biotech opportunity is presenting itself. This may not be another DNDN blockbuster, but FDA approval seems imminent. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment