Thursday, December 4, 2008

Gold, gold, and more gold...

I used the recent pullback in gold to purchase more Barrick Gold mining shares, albeit it at a higher entry point than my previous purchase of $19/share for ABX. I'm in at about $26/share, which is still cheaper than the $30 it touched earlier.

I also found a way to reduce future purchases to $18.90 by writing April 2009 ABX 22.50 puts, collecting $360 per contract. If ABX touches $22.50/share before the April expiration--and I get exercised, I'll pick up the shares, and since I get to keep the premiums whether I am exercised or not, my effective purchase price would be $18.90.

I also purchased rare gold coins at an auction, including the beautiful $20 St. Gaudens double eagle. I expect them to soar once inflation kicks in from the trillions of dollars of additional money flows.

I'm usually far from a gold bug--I am agnostic as far as investments go, but the inflationary scenario is too coompelling for me not to act. As long as the Fed and Treasury aim to bail out industry after industry, as long as banks and companies continue to collapse, and as long as the government continues to print money in unprecedented amounts, gold will have nowhere to go but up. There usually is a lag period before inflation accelerates, but the inflationary pressures are already starting to build. With short-term interest rates under 1%, it's only a matter of time before people figure out it's wiser to hold gold than devalued paper currency.

No comments:

Post a Comment