Thursday, October 9, 2008

GM on the ropes

I've stated for months that General Motors will be insolvent within 18 months (now 12 months--see previous blogs), and now CNBC is splashing it all over the headlines today. Shorting it was the call. It may go down further, but if this trade was put in a while back, it's time to cover and take profits. I may miss out on further gains, but there's no need to be greedy.

The larger issue is the cascading of financial crises from one sector to another, and to the general economy overall. The capitulation is coming (despite several false proclamations already), and we want to see a definitive bottom forming before jumping back in. I will confess that I nibbled at quality yesterday on long-term plays, but it is still too early to catch the falling knife. Warren Buffett stepped up big with Goldman Sachs and GE, and in hindsight, could have bought better (and lower). Even the best of the best can be early. But let's face it--even he admits he is a lousy market timer--he is a long-term value buyer, being a Benjamin Graham disciple. His participation means we're closer to a bottom than a top, but the market and the economy still need to unwind some more before I feel confident we indeed have reached bottom. My rule (and one I don't always follow, to my detriment), is to sell early (to avoid the bulk of the carnage), and buy late (even if it means I don't catch the exact bottom). Specifically, I want to see confirmation, and right now, we're not anywhere near close to that.

As usual, I am not dispensing advice and please consult your investment advisor, but the call here is to play some more golf--you'll save money for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment